All divers participating in Institute of Nautical Archaeology projects must fulfill the following 5 criteria, submission guidelines are below. All supporting documents must be submitted by April 15 of your project year.
- Be certified as an Open Water Scuba Diver (or higher) by a recognized certification agency.
- Please submit photocopies of both sides of your scuba certification card to the Diving Safety Officer. If you have additional certifications (e.g., Nitrox, Advanced, Rescue, Dive Master, etc.) these should also be submitted. If you received your open water certification from an agency other than PADI, NAUI, YMCA, or BSAC, please contact the INA Diving Safety Officer for approval.
- Submit a completed INA Diver Experience Record and Contact Information Form. (pdf link)
- This form provides a record of the diver’s experience and training, as well as emergency contact information
- Successfully complete a CPR certification course every two years and a Basic First Aid certification course every three years.
- Please submit photocopies of both sides of your CPR and First Aid certification card(s) to the Diving Safety Officer. If you have additional certifications (e.g., DAN Oxygen Administrator) these should also be submitted. Acceptable certification agencies include PADI, the American Red Cross, and the American Heart Association. If you plan to seek certification from another agency, please contact the Diving Safety Officer for approval.
- Maintain an insurance policy that covers diving related accidents. All INA divers should carry Divers Alert Network (DAN) insurance at a minimum of the Master Level.
- All INA divers should carry Divers Alert Network (DAN) insurance at a minimum of the Master level. The total annual cost of Master level insurance and DAN membership is approximately $64. per year. You may want to consider purchasing the Preferred plan (total price is approximately $99. per year), especially if you do not otherwise have travel insurance, as this option covers up to $15,000 for non-diving accidents while traveling. More information is available from the Diving Safety Officer or from the DAN website. Please submit a photocopy of your insurance card to the Diving Safety Officer. Diving insurance can be purchased online at www.diversalertnetwork.org or by calling DAN (Divers Alert Network) at 1-800-446-2671 or 1-800-446-2671.
If you previously submitted any of these documents, please email the Diving Safety Officer to ensure that your file is current. Divers should also provide their Project Director with copies of these documents. Individuals who fail to comply with these requirements will not be permitted to participate in any diving activities related to Institute of Nautical Archaeology projects. If you are having difficulties meeting these requirements, please contact the Diving Safety Officer as soon as possible.