Santo Hieronimo Shipwreck Excavation (Croatia) – 2020
Claude Duthuit Archaeology Grant Recipient
José Casabán (INA) and Irena Radić Rossi (University of Zadar/INA)
Santo Hieronimo was owned by Jerolim Benedikt Primoević (Hieronimo Benedicto de Primi) from the Maritime Republic of Ragusa (Dubrovnik, Croatia) which sank at the entrance of the Bay of Suđurađ, on the Island of Šipan (Croatia), in 1576. The remains of Santo Hieronimo have been systematically surveyed and excavated since 2014 as part of the Archaeology of Adriatic Shipbuilding and Seafaring Project (AdriaS). This project aims to understand the shipbuilding philosophy behind the conception, technology, and construction of post-medieval vessels that sailed the Adriatic Sea, and to carry out a comparative analysis of the hull remains of Santo Hieronimo with other contemporary 16th-century vessels to identify design transfers between Adriatic, Mediterranean, and Atlantic Ocean.